Monday, August 19, 2013

Right Brained Extroverts

Today I decided to play online a little bit with Annabelle, I've been trying to not do too much with her. I feel as if I have become much more conscious of what things should look and feel like after playing with some other horses. Immediately when we got into the arena she exploded, reading and bucking and kicking out. I haven't experienced this in a long time. I felt her feeling a great amount of unconfidence. So I took things slow- approach and retreat. It's like I was starting over in our relationship again. The one thing I did differently was I allowed the blow up and pretended it didn't happen. She realized that I put no thought or energy on the blow up and she calmed down much quicker then ever before. Once I was able to get the 7 games and some blow outs I took her back to the pasture because I had plans for Ariat and I. For the first time ever she didn't leave me right away. I led her to her water tank and she drank and would normally either slowly walk away (much better option) or canter away calling to her buddies (my least favorite option). But today she looked over at them and turned her head back to me, with her head lowered, calm, and relaxed. I couldn't believe it, I was so happy. She walked away, but only to pee, and she came back!! I was thrilled I gave her multiple treats. 
Ariat was good tonight. I was able to get a half jump over the barrel. A somewhat slide stop during our stick-to-me game. I am having a really hard time with the canter leads. (I've never had to help a horse with canter leads because Annabelle is so athletic). He will pick them up 50% of the time and almost always gets them after I send him over a jump. Riding I have the same problem- I can get the front leads and not the back. But he is better from day one so I must be doing something to help him understand leads! He's a pro now at picking up the cone. AND I'm really excited about this..I have taught him to speak- I hope this is always a good thing lol. But I can get him to talk for a treat :)



No comments:

Post a Comment