Monday, July 9, 2012

A little girls dream

    What seems like a life long dream came true on Saturday. I decided to see how Annabelle would do with the barrels she has awesome flying lead changes and turns. We did the pattern for a couple days walking and trotting. Then I decided to try it cantering and she did it. I think she enjoyed it too.
  My dream is to be able to do barrels bareback and bridless. (We are a ways away from that, I can hardly canter in a straight line bareback haha)
     When I started Parelli my goals for being able to barrel race went away. But now that I have a relationship with Annabelle and a different perspective, I want to do it again but for more reasons, not just to go fast. I wonder if I can get her response using my leg fast enough to be able turn without steering her. Can I use my body to speed up and slow down to have her turn and do the flying changes while still being relaxed? Can she pick up the canter nicely without jumping into it or feeling rushed? All of these things I never thought of before. It puts a whole new perspective on "running the barrels" and it makes it more fun for the both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment